Meet Reese - A Beautiful People Post
Beautiful People was formed one day when Georgie and I were talking and realized what a great thing it was to ask questions about your characters. I said to her, "We should start a blog meme-thing." And she said, "Okay."
Hence, Beautiful People was born.
If you haven't joined yet, you can do so here. I must confess that after reading all of your submissions (which are fanTASTIC, by the way), I feel a little insecure about sharing my character with you this month. She's not nearly as epic as your characters seem, but I love her anyway.
Reese is the main character of the first novel I ever finished, appropriately titled Reese's Pieces. She's pretty much based off of me, although there are some things that are different about her. She's one of the wackiest, most sarcastic, most hilarious characters I've ever written, if I do say so myself. (She's got my amount of sarcasm times a million.)
Her style looks a little like this:
Let's do it!
1. How old is he/she?16 in the first half of the book, 17 in the second. :P
2. What does he/she do with his/her spare time?In her spare time, Reese likes to write poetry, daydream, hang out with her best friend Addi, go to the music store with her brother Justin, hang out with her pseudo-older brother Ben, and take road trips in her olive green van.
3. Does he/she see the big picture or live in the moment?Reese is the type of person to live in the moment, but she wonders what the future is like. So in a way, she has a little bit of both. She does have the tendency to worry (who am I kidding? I do it too), but most of the time, she likes to embrace the present.
4. Is he/she a perfectionist?Heh. Yeah. Probably.
5. What does her handwriting look like? (round, slanted, curly, skinny, sloppy, neat, decorative, etc.)She uses a simple print style most of the time, but occasionally she'll use cursive. Her print style is round, neat, and curly. Her cursive is slanted, neat, and decorative. ;)
6. Favorite animal?She likes baby tigers. A lot. As in, if they weren't so fierce, she'd have one as a pet.
7. Does he/she have any pets?Reese doesn't have any pets in the first book, but this just gave me an idea for the sequel! Since she can't get a baby tiger, I think she'll get a tiny kitten named Mocha.
8. Does he/she have any siblings? How many? Where does he/she fit in?Reese has two siblings - her older, married sister Laney, and her 20-something brother, Justin. Reese is the youngest, and is the only one still at home, although she and Justin have a close relationship. Her brother-in-law is named Chris. She also has an almost-brother named Ben, who is Justin's best friend. Then she has two almost-sisters - Janae, and Reese's best friend Addi.
...She has a lot of unbiological siblings. :P
9. Does he/she have a 'life verse' and if so what is it?I know this is going to sound cliche and overused, but it truly is Jeremiah 29:11. I was learning the meaning of that verse around the time I was writing Reese's Pieces, so it kind of wove itself into my writing.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Reese doesn't know the future, but most of the time, she remembers that God has plans for her - good plans. And that's all she needs to know. Kind of like Owl City says...
"I don't need a telescope to see that there's hope, and that makes me feel brave."
(If only I could take that to heart more easily!)